Engineering Manager (Backend)
Common Wealth offers an award-winning digital retirement platform that helps Canadians achieve their goals. We are driven by our mission to help all Canadians achieve financial security in retirement. Common Wealth makes it easy to plan, save, and build a reliable retirement income – so our members can feel confident about their financial future. Common Wealth is the trusted retirement plan provider to a rapidly growing number of businesses, non-profits, associations, and unions across the country, and works in collaboration with benefits advisors, HR platforms, and other valued partners. Our team is growing to continue to support the lives of many Canadians through our mission. We are looking for a Software Engineer Manager (backend) to join our team and play a key role on the technology team and make a significant contribution to our platform and the future of retirement in Canada. If you are curious, feel free to click here to read more about us at Common Wealth.
What you will do:
- Act as a strong people manager: There is a strong technology team in place, and you will be responsible for all management and leadership tasks to grow, train and retain talent on the backend side. You enjoy providing your people with direction not only in terms of their individual growth plans, but also strategic guidance and industry experience. You are an expert in your own right when it comes to technology-specific work, and while you may be required to step into that role once in a while, you enjoy training others to step into their roles and grow. You will constantly be on the lookout for top talent in the market in collaboration with our Director of People.
- Manage the day-to-day engineering initiatives: While you manage and lead the people within the backend technology function, you will also have the opportunity to roll up your sleeves and can be hands-on within the department when needed. You are confident in your ability to support the team by weighing in and course-correcting technical decisions when necessary. You will be regularly working with the various people within and outside of technology in order to help move the product and business goals forward.
- Support in scaling the product: Along with delivering on business objectives, you will work with the other engineering leaders to own and evolve an engineering roadmap. You will regularly assess what investments need to be made to ensure product quality, security, and scalability, and weigh those alongside functional product goals to create a holistic roadmap that is supported by the engineering team and other business stakeholders.
Who you are:
- Incredibly detail-oriented: As a manager in a highly-regulated environment, you need to be someone who is detail-oriented. The room for errors in our product is incredibly low (if not zero), as we’re dealing with people’s finances, as well as the CRA and other regulators. You have mastered the art of understanding what the core deliverables are, and you ensure the right people are involved to assess whether it’s been implemented correctly.
- Handle feedback and obstacles with grace: You are comfortable being challenged by peers, and by evolving requirements. We have an incredible product team who provides clear stories that need to be developed, but we are still a relatively new platform, and as a senior member of our team, you will need to be comfortable removing obstacles for the team as they arise.
- Strong collaborator and communicator: Our team is driven by a strong mission and tries to bring that into everyday life. You will be a part of a team that values collaboration and must also value this yourself. You tend to overcommunicate, enjoy facilitating meetings, ask lots of questions, and enjoy sharing your own status with teammates. You will especially be working closely with the product team. You will look at the product from a holistic perspective and ensure you enable your team to deliver requirements and outcomes.
- Experienced developer: You have been a technical contributor to products that have been used by others. As a manager, you may no longer want to spend most of your time coding; however, you can still offer the team strong technical support when required. Your experience allows you to contribute to technical design discussions, especially around defining new architecture where none exists today.
- Improvement mindset: You have a strong understanding of the core tenets of an agile process. You use that understanding and holistic business sense to evolve processes within the engineering department, and are regularly adjusting those processes as the team and company grow.
Why work with us:
Common Wealth is a fast-growing company with a mission to change the lives of Canadians. Joining our team of mission-driven developers means you have an incredible amount of autonomy over your day-to-day work, and can help to disrupt the Canadian retirement landscape. In addition to a competitive salary of $170-180k, you will receive health and dental benefits, life insurance, an additional Health Spending Account, a 5% employer match into one of our award-winning group retirement plans, and four weeks of vacation. Our team is currently working remotely, and we plan to continue that practice into the future. We have an office in downtown Toronto for those who prefer to work from the office. Our growing team combines deep expertise in the key disciplines necessary to help our customers achieve retirement success. We have also formed partnerships with world-class investment and annuities providers, including BlackRock, the world’s largest asset manager, and Brookfield Annuity, a leading provider of group annuities.
We are a respectful workplace committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce. We believe in fostering an inclusive work environment where all individuals have an opportunity to succeed. We welcome and encourage applications from everyone. We look forward to hearing from you!
Please apply through the application, and if you would like to reach out, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.