Common Wealth offers an award-winning digital retirement platform that helps Canadians achieve their goals. We are driven by our mission to help all Canadians achieve financial security in retirement. Common Wealth makes it easy to plan, save, and build a reliable retirement income – so our members can feel confident about their financial future. Common Wealth is the trusted retirement plan provider to a rapidly growing number of businesses, non-profits, associations, and unions across the country, and works in collaboration with benefits advisors, HR platforms, and other valued partners. Our team is growing to continue to support the lives of many Canadians through our mission. We are looking for a Product Manager who will support our innovative product function at Common Wealth. If you are curious, feel free to click here to read more about us at Common Wealth.
What you will do:
- Own core recordkeeping: Alongside various departments, you will create, manage, and iterate the core recordkeeping and transaction-management (monthly, payroll, one-time contributions, withdrawals, and payments) aspects of our platform, including the calculations that drive our projections and retirement planning tools. You will conduct regular exploratory testing to ensure the accuracy of the business and operations support system algorithm are working correctly. You will ensure all planning tools provide evidence-based guidance to members, and always present an accurate financial picture to our members.
- Create and support internal tools: You will lead the business and operations support system from a product perspective across the entire organization. You will be responsible for not only the creation but also the implementation and ongoing improvement of tools for all internal teams. You will be looking at the business holistically to identify areas you can assist in helping build efficiency – this is especially true for the customer success and operations teams, while also supporting the sales and marketing functions. With your business background you understand operations and workflows and can have a big impact not only on efficiency but also on quality of supportive tools. Ideally, internal departments should be able to conduct work in a self-serve model using the tools you and the engineering team have built. Your job is vital as you will lead, create, problem solve, and improve the tools internal teams leverage to deliver a better outcome for the end user, aiding in a positive member experience.
- Stakeholder management: You will manage the integrations with our financial services partners, such as investment management, annuities, custodial, and banking. As part of the implementation process, you will be working with various stakeholders to capture specifications and conduct interface discussions. You will work collaboratively with all departments within Common Wealth, chief among them being the engineering team, to ensure you are supporting the business goals from a product standpoint.
- Data analysis and reporting: As our employers grow, both internal and external stakeholders require more oversight and reporting. Together with the engineering team, you will assist with the data and analytics requirements of the business. You have an understanding of Tableau or QuickSight or are willing to learn in order to create and manage reports and the data analysis.
Who you are:
- Detail oriented: Your attention to detail is often what sets you apart from others. You’re meticulous in how you plan, organize, track and monitor project and data. You will be using your attention to detail skills regularly in your everyday work. You will be looking at a lot of numbers, and you will need to notice when something looks off, recognize what the impact may be, and work with the team to correct the issue.
- Comfortable making decisions with a calm demeanor: You will have to make a variety of decisions on a day-to-day basis. While making the decisions, you remain calm and do not engage in reactionary behavior based on the noise that will come up. You are typically referred to as a levelheaded person who will make a temporary workaround happen to reduce the overall noise in the company.
- Problem solver: You are curious in nature and enjoy solving problems in order to help both internal and external stakeholders. You thrive when looking through data and analyzing the problem in efforts to devise a plan to improve the user experience. You consistently demonstrate ownership over your role – this can mean triaging the problem to the proper people in order to help you solve the issue.
- Understand business: You inherently understand business from a holistic sense and especially how the operations of an organization work and how it relates to product. You enjoy using your past experiences to help improve on making processes more efficient.
- Effective communicator: You can easily impact and engage with a range of people both internal and external, while masterfully personalizing your approach in order to reach your goal. You are able to summarize and communicate your thoughts very clearly with a broad range of stakeholders. Empathy is something that comes very naturally to you, especially when dealing with customers and end users.
- Thrive on collaboration: You excel when you can collaborate in a meaningful way with people within and external to the organization. You know how to work extremely well with software engineers as a collaborative and value-adding partner.
- Experience within the financial services industry: You have worked with or in an operations team within the financial services sector.
Why work with us:
Common Wealth is a fast growing company with a mission to change the lives of Canadians. Joining our team will allow you the opportunity to have firsthand experience shaping and influencing key decisions about the organization. You will have a great amount of autonomy in your job and how you organize your day-to-day. You will be joining a team of like-minded mission driven disruptors who want to improve the Canadian retirement landscape. In addition to a competitive salary of $90-100k, you will receive health and dental benefits, life insurance, an additional Health Spending Account, a 5% employer match into one of our award-winning group retirement plans, and four weeks of vacation. Our team is currently working remotely, and we plan to continue that practice into the future. We have an office in downtown Toronto for those who prefer to work from the office. Our growing team combines deep expertise in the key disciplines necessary to help our customers achieve retirement success. We have also formed partnerships with world-class investment and annuities providers, including BlackRock, the world’s largest asset manager, and Brookfield Annuity, a leading provider of group annuities.
About our platform
The Common Wealth platform provides workplace-based and individual retirement plans that are easier to use and 2-3x more efficient than what the incumbents offer to our target customers. The best way to understand our technology platform is to see it; we could happily provide a live demo. You can also see highlights of the member experience in this overview video.
Our platform is essentially a combination of two things:
- A digital retirement planning, saving, investing, and income-generation solution for individuals. Some people think of it as a kind of next generation of robo-advisor focused on the specific problem of retirement – one that automates not only investing, but also retirement planning, saving, and income generation, including the integration of investment and insurance instruments.
- A modern end-to-end workplace retirement plan administration / recordkeeping system.
Our technology platform includes:
- A plan member platform focused on retirement saving, planning, and income generation. It enables plan members to build an evidence-based, automated retirement plan in 10-15 minutes, provides access to high-quality institutional investment strategies (e.g., target date funds from BlackRock), and integrates a unique-in-Canada Guaranteed Lifetime Income offering (in partnership with Brookfield Annuity Company), among other unique features (see this member experience overview video). We are currently working on a mobile version of the experience.
- An employer platform that connects to various payroll systems and allows employers to easily administer their group retirement plan. Our employer functionality allows a high degree of flexibility when it comes to plan design and fees, and is built using API-ready architecture, making it possible to integrate with payroll providers and other ecosystem partners.
- Platform-as-a-service (PaaS) functionality that allows partners and plan sponsors to white-label and configure the entire Common Wealth digital experience to meet the unique needs of their organization and customer base. Our multi-tenant architecture makes it efficient for us to onboard and maintain PaaS partners.
- Powerful data analytics that inform our own product development and support our plan sponsors, brokers, advisors, and other partners. The unique architecture of our product allows us to capture key metrics that are most relevant to employer and member value in a way that our competitors cannot.
We are a respectful workplace committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce. We believe in fostering an inclusive work environment where all individuals have an opportunity to succeed. We welcome and encourage applications from everyone. We look forward to hearing from you!