Junior Back-End Engineer
Who is Common Wealth Retirement?
Common Wealth Retirement is a fast-growing, mission-driven fintech company aimed at helping Canadians of all income levels achieve a financially secure retirement without having to become a financial expert. Our award-winning digital retirement platform makes it easy to set up an automated, personalized retirement plan that delivers 2-3x more value than a typical RRSP.
75% of Canadians are concerned about having enough money in retirement, and the majority of Canadians age 50+ do not feel they have a plan for their retirement savings. We believe that the financial services industry has made saving and planning for retirement harder than it needs to be, through a combination of high fees, unnecessary complexity, and the failure to put the customer at the centre. You can make a difference by providing access to a higher quality retirement plan to Canadians regardless of how much they earn or where they work.
Common Wealth Retirement offers a customer-first approach to retirement planning. We’ve cut the jargon, lowered fees, streamlined the user experience, and incorporated expert financial strategies to simplify the process of planning, saving, and generating income in retirement.
We offer our retirement plans through employers, membership-based organizations, and other partnerships.
Retirement Planning Is Easier Than You Think!
We’re on a mission to make retirement saving and planning easier. When customers experience our platform, the most common thing we hear is “That was easier than I thought!”
PLAN – Smart Planning allows you to build a personalized retirement strategy. We estimate your future saving needs and outcomes based on your goals, contributions, income, and age. Our plan automatically adjusts saving projections as you make contributions and transfer funds.
SAVE – Smart Saving helps you stay on track to meet your retirement goals. Connect to your bank account and make monthly contributions right from your paycheque. Choose between RRSP and TFSA accounts—or a combination. Transfer an existing RRSP or TFSA into your plan in a few clicks.
INVEST – Smart Investing matches you to the appropriate investment fund for your life stage, then adjusts your risk profile as you near retirement. We offer in-app suggestions to help select an age-appropriate target date fund to maximize the growth of your savings. These funds offer a diverse investment portfolio to automatically manage, balance, and adjust investment risk. You can change your investment fund selection at any time.
TRACK – Our digital plan makes it easy to view and update your account online. You’re in full control—you can edit, pause, or withdraw your savings whenever you choose. Log in anytime to check your balance.
Our team and partnerships
Our growing team combines expertise in the key disciplines necessary to help our customers achieve retirement success. This includes retirement and pension expertise, financial technology, financial regulation, operations and customer service, human-centric product design, and knowledge of the needs of employers. We work with world-class investment and annuities providers, including BlackRock, the world’s largest asset manager, and Brookfield Annuity, a leading provider of group annuities.
Why consider joining us?
- Work with a modern Java, Spring, Hibernate, including using frameworks like Axon for event-sourcing and command handling.
- We’re a cloud-native product, meaning everything has been built from the group up to run on AWS. You’ll work with containers, ECS, Lambda, RDS, EventBridge and CloudFormation. We provide AWS training for all members of our team, and everyone contributes to managing our infrastructure.
- A robust test-suite with integration and unit tests that cover nearly all of our codebase, allowing you to refactor and improve components with confidence.
- Plenty of room for growth. We are a small and highly focused team, and support one another in learning new parts of our application stack.
- We’re highly committed to rapid delivery. We deploy several times a week and encourage all new developers to ship to production within their first week on the team.
- We won’t expose you to legacy code that’s half a decade old.
- 0-3 years of development experience in core Java (11 or newer preferred)
- Basic SQL knowledge, including an understanding of table design, basic query structure, and performance
- Basic familiarity with key Java frameworks like Spring or Hibernate
- Basic Familiarity with AWS, or any other major cloud provider (Azure, Google Cloud Platform)
What can Common Wealth Retirement offer you?
- Enticing total rewards. The salary range for this role is $70k – $90k per year, commensurate with experience and pro-rated based on your start date. We lead by the example we set in that workplace financial security is not a trade-off. Our total compensation includes a dollar-for-dollar match into one of our award-winning retirement plans and company stock options (one of our values is to act like owners, so you should be one). Naturally, you will also receive basics like health and life insurance. We trust you to do your work, so we are flexible with where and when you do it, as long as you can collaborate effectively with us in a virtual world.
- Make a difference. Use your software skills for good by helping more people achieve a secure retirement. The global retirement savings gap is estimated at $70 trillion. By making a dent in this problem, you will have a big impact.
- Challenging problem. Retirement security is one of the most difficult problems in finance. Solutions require creativity and cross-discipline collaboration.
- Growth market. As longevity increases, the need for efficient retirement security is likely to grow.
- Remote first team with a Toronto HQ. Common Wealth is located at the centre of one of the world’s most sophisticated ecosystems for retirement, including some of the world’s leading pension funds.
- Start-up nimbleness with less downside. Like many start-ups, we are small and can innovate quickly. But unlike other start-ups, we have been in business for over five years, meaning there is less risk associated with our business model than those firms that have yet to find product-market fit.
If this role sounds like the one for you, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Junior Back-End Engineer” in the subject line.
At Common Wealth Retirement, we believe that diversity in all its forms – including diversity of gender, race, nationality, age, and professional, educational, and socioeconomic background – is critical to building high-performing teams and serving a diverse customer base. Creating an inclusive work environment is a high priority and an area of continuous improvement. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process.