Intermediate Backend Engineer
Common Wealth offers an award-winning digital retirement platform that helps Canadians achieve their goals. We are driven by our mission to help all Canadians achieve financial security in retirement. Common Wealth makes it easy to plan, save, and build a reliable retirement income – so our members can feel confident about their financial future. Common Wealth is the trusted retirement plan provider to a rapidly growing number of businesses, non-profits, associations, and unions across the country, and works in collaboration with benefits advisors, HR platforms, and other valued partners. Our team is growing to continue to support the lives of many Canadians through our mission. We are looking for an Intermediate Backend Engineer to join our team and make a significant contribution to our platform and the future of retirement in Canada. If you are curious, feel free to click here to read more about us at Common Wealth.
What you will do:
- Write and deliver code while understanding customer and business needs: Once features are defined by the product team, our development team works to break it down into smaller pieces of work. As an intermediate developer, your work will be assigned from there. You will take requirements into consideration and understand the reasoning behind a particular requirement and challenge the approach if you feel there are better alternatives. You will also coordinate with our front-end team to ensure that what you’re building fits into the overall development landscape.
- Work on testing and automation for what you’ve created: We don’t have a separate testing team in our engineering department, which means each developer on the team is responsible for writing and automating tests for what they’ve created. In addition to writing/automating these tests, you will also work with more senior developers to get feedback on your work. You will focus on the highest-quality implementations, recognizing the importance of our product in people’s financial lives.
- Embrace a devops philosophy: Our infrastructure lives in the cloud and is all managed using infrastructure-as-code tools. Engineers are responsible for understanding how their work runs in production and are expected to think about cost, scalability, monitoring, and security when introducing new pieces of infrastructure. We are always exploring ways to improve how we deliver our product.
Who you are:
- Curious, self-directed learner who thrives on ambiguity: From a technical perspective, you can be rather junior in your skillset, but your mindset needs to resemble a senior developer. What this means to us is that you’re excited by the challenge of getting a story from a product designer, and you’re able to jump in and start implementing it and identify any questions you might have. You don’t need precise work requirements but can figure things out, and make the right judgement calls. You know when to ask for help and don’t mind doing so. Your initiative and eagerness to learn makes you a valuable team member.
- Open-minded and willing to seek out feedback: You enjoy being part of a highly collaborative team that provides a lot of internal feedback. You never feel defensive when other people look at your work and provide opinions or ask questions. You’re open to different ways of doing things and willing to let go of a path you were on if the team feels there’s a better way.
- Collaborative team member: You understand that great products are built through working with many different stakeholders. You are able to build strong relationships with other mission-driven team members, including those outside of the engineering group. You enjoy working with our product team and hearing from our customers about how your work impacts them and our product.
- Experience working as a Java developer: You have worked on products that are out in the market and can point to what you’ve built in your coding life. Our tech stack involves Java, Spring, Hibernate, Postgres, and AWS. Any experience working with the listed technologies, plus some exposure to automated testing is a bonus. You have worked on multiple projects where you have helped shape the backend architecture and understand how to establish architecture where none exists, seeing what is needed to reach an end state.
Why work with us:
Common Wealth is a fast-growing company with a mission to change the lives of Canadians. Joining our team of mission-driven developers means you have an incredible amount of autonomy over your day-to-day work and can help to disrupt the Canadian retirement landscape. In addition to a competitive salary of $80-100k, you will receive health and dental benefits, life insurance, an additional Health Spending Account, a 5% employer match into one of our award-winning group retirement plans, and four weeks of vacation. Our team is currently working remotely, and we plan to continue that practice into the future. We have an office in downtown Toronto for those who prefer to work from the office. Our growing team combines deep expertise in the key disciplines necessary to help our customers achieve retirement success. We have also formed partnerships with world-class investment and annuities providers, including BlackRock, the world’s largest asset manager, and Brookfield Annuity, a leading provider of group annuities.
We are a respectful workplace committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce. We believe in fostering an inclusive work environment where all individuals have an opportunity to succeed. We welcome and encourage applications from everyone. We look forward to hearing from you!