Client Service Specialist
Who is Common Wealth Retirement?
Common Wealth Retirement is a fast-growing, mission-driven fintech company aimed at helping Canadians of all income levels achieve a financially secure retirement without having to become a financial expert. Our award-winning digital retirement platform makes it easy to set up an automated, personalized retirement plan that delivers 2-3x more value than a typical RRSP.
75% of Canadians are concerned about having enough money in retirement, and the majority of Canadians age 50+ do not feel they have a plan for their retirement savings. We believe that the financial services industry has made saving and planning for retirement harder than it needs to be, through a combination of high fees, unnecessary complexity, and the failure to put the customer at the centre. You can make a difference by providing access to a higher quality retirement plan to Canadians regardless of how much they earn or where they work.
Common Wealth Retirement offers a customer-first approach to retirement planning. We’ve cut the jargon, lowered fees, streamlined the user experience, and incorporated expert financial strategies to simplify the process of planning, saving, and generating income in retirement.
We offer our retirement plans through employers, membership-based organizations, and other partnerships.
Retirement Planning Is Easier Than You Think!
We’re on a mission to make retirement saving and planning easier. When customers experience our platform, the most common thing we hear is “That was easier than I thought!”
PLAN – Smart Planning allows you to build a personalized retirement strategy. We estimate your future saving needs and outcomes based on your goals, contributions, income, and age. Our plan automatically adjusts saving projections as you make contributions and transfer funds.
SAVE – Smart Saving helps you stay on track to meet your retirement goals. Connect to your bank account and make monthly contributions right from your paycheque. Choose between RRSP and TFSA accounts—or a combination. Transfer an existing RRSP or TFSA into your plan in a few clicks.
INVEST – Smart Investing matches you to the appropriate investment fund for your life stage, then adjusts your risk profile as you near retirement. We offer in-app suggestions to help select an age-appropriate target date fund to maximize the growth of your savings. These funds offer a diverse investment portfolio to automatically manage, balance, and adjust investment risk. You can change your investment fund selection at any time.
TRACK – Our digital plan makes it easy to view and update your account online. You’re in full control—you can edit, pause, or withdraw your savings whenever you choose. Log in anytime to check your balance.
Our team and partnerships
Our growing team combines expertise in the key disciplines necessary to help our customers achieve retirement success. This includes retirement and pension expertise, financial technology, financial regulation, operations and customer service, human-centric product design, and knowledge of the needs of employers. We have also formed partnerships with world-class investment and annuities providers, including BlackRock, the world’s largest asset manager, and Brookfield Annuity, a leading provider of group annuities.
Why should a client service specialist consider joining us?
Every day we ask ourselves, “How can we help more Canadians retire with financial security?” Our team works to solve one of the most difficult problems in finance, and we strive to bring out the best in each other while creating the most accessible and highest quality retirement planning experience in Canada. Our product is underpinned by our team’s decades of experience in the industry, but we need your unique design strengths to ensure members come away from our product saying, “Wow, that was easy!”
On Common Wealth’s plan operations team, you will be frontline with client members and employers. First impressions and high-quality relationships drive our business. Every day you will have the chance to impact quality of life through exceptional care and service of our members. As a central point of direct user feedback, your role is critical in Common Wealth’s ability to continually improve both operational and product experiences and deliver real-time and honest feedback to the corresponding teams, and that makes our business stronger.
What skills lead to success in this role?
- Exceptional client service skills with a strong client focus, including client care and self-service support
- Client empathy and commitment to providing an excellent service and client experience
- Proficiency in communicating technical information in plain, clear language across multiple mediums
- Ability to translate client interactions into user experience improvements
- Sound knowledge of client service procedures and use of software applications
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Committed to continuous learning
- Experience within any financial services business
- Nice to have but not required – knowledge of group retirement savings, including products and services, operations, and delivery
- Strong attention to detail
- Providing after-sales service by supporting the onboarding of new employers and their employees into a Common Wealth retirement plan, including training and education and administration support
- Researching, actively seeking solutions to, and documenting client issues
- Assisting members with transactional issues and inquiries, and helping them get the most out of their Common Wealth retirement plan
- Managing records capture and retention requirements for member and employer-related documents
- Identifying trends in client experience and translating findings into product and process improvements
- Contributing to the continuous improvement of our client experience strategy
- Working closely with Common Wealth’s partners (e.g., unions, associations, other channel partners) to provide high-quality retirement education and service to member and employer clients
- Contributing to the improvement of internal plan operations through identifying opportunities for increased efficiency, as well as designing, implementing, and documenting new processes and procedures
What to expect during the recruitment process
- Once we receive your application, you can expect to have a virtual meeting with one of our hiring managers. This conversation should cover the history of the company, the problem we are solving, and sharing insights into your background and interest in joining Common Wealth. This is also the first opportunity to highlight not only your interest but your competencies for the role you are applying for. Often this meeting is anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes on a video call.
- The second step is a shorter meeting with a Product team member for more learning and perspective. At this stage, we would request access to some of your work samples and portfolio
- In the third step, we will provide you with access to our demo environment ahead of time and have you walk through a typical plan member enrollment workflow. From there you will meet with both product management and development team members. We would love to get your opinion on the design and what you might seek to include or improve in the product experience
- Our fourth step would be meeting with a couple of folks from leadership
- Fifth step is offer, acceptance, and virtual high fives!
What can Common Wealth Retirement offer you?
- Make a difference. Use your skills for good by helping more people achieve a secure retirement. The global retirement savings gap is estimated at $70 trillion. By making a dent in this problem, you will have a big impact.
- Challenging problem. Retirement security is one of the most difficult problems in finance. Solutions require creativity and cross-discipline collaboration.
- Growth market. As longevity increases, the need for efficient retirement security is likely to grow.
- Remote first team with a Toronto HQ. Common Wealth is located at the centre of one of the world’s most sophisticated ecosystems for retirement, including some of the world’s leading pension funds.
- Start-up nimbleness with less downside. Like many start-ups, we are small and can innovate quickly. But unlike other start-ups, we have been in business for over five years, meaning there is less risk associated with our business model than those firms that have yet to find product-market fit.
- Enticing total rewards. We pay competitively and lead by the example we set in that workplace financial security is not a trade-off. Our total compensation includes a dollar-for-dollar match into one of our award-winning retirement plans and company stock options (one of our values is to act like owners, so you should be one). Naturally, you will also receive basics like health and life insurance. We trust you to do your work, so we are flexible with where and when you do it, as long as you can collaborate effectively with us in a virtual world.
If this role sounds like the one for you, please email your resume to email@example.com with “Client Service Specialist” in the subject line.
At Common Wealth Retirement, we believe that diversity in all its forms – including diversity of gender, race, nationality, age, and professional, educational, and socioeconomic background – is critical to building high-performing teams and serving a diverse customer base. Creating an inclusive work environment is a high priority and an area of continuous improvement. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process.